#1 - Cristiano Ronaldo
5 time Ballon D'or winner, Cristiano Ronaldo, is first on our list of the 11 best athletes of 2018. No surprises here; a football list isn't complete without this legendary player.
Moments of 2018
- Ronaldo's main moment of glory was his victory in the Champions League Final vs Liverpool for his 5th ever Champions League Title. Not to mention, he was the top scorer in the competition with 15 goals.
- CR7 scored an absolute screamer vs Juventus to secure Real Madrid's spot in the semifinals vs Bayern. This bicycle kick was so stunning that Ronaldo got a standing ovation from the Juventus crowd.
- Cristiano had a great World Cup too, considering the team he had around him. He single handedly carried Portugal to a 3-3 tie with Spain, scoring a brilliant hat-trick. Pretty unheard of in tournament of that caliber.
- Ronaldo also made headlines with his unexpected transfer to Juventus. It's been reported that a big reason for his move was because of the standing ovation given to him (after the bicycle kick) by Juventus fans. Ronaldo had some issues in Madrid with lack of love from his fans, and some speculate this move was made because of the love Juve fans showed Cristiano.
- Ronaldo so far has 9 goals and 5 assists in 15 games with Juventus this year. Great stats for the first few months after a transfer!